Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Parable of the 24 coins


I will preface this post by saying that my host father is a religious man.  This last week I dropped the bombshell of Ben ile aile uruç yapmak istiyorum or: I want to keep the fast (for Ramazan coming up in a little under 2 weeks) with the family.  He was speechless, and since then, he has talked with me more and more about a broad range of topics.  Two nights ago I was outside doing homework when the call to prayer went out.  One of my favorite things about Turkey is hearing the call, and I always stop to listen.  My host father came and told me a story (several times and with the help of props haha!)

Every day, a rich man gave a poor man gave a poor man 24 gold coins, asking one thing in return for his generosity.  He asked only that at the end of the day, the poor man give one gold coin back, which he gladly did. 

This parable, for lack of a better word, is how my host-father described Muslims’ relationship to God through prayer.  God has given us 24 hours in each day, and he asks that we give one of those hours back in prayer.  I really enjoyed the analogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment