Sunday, August 4, 2013

My Turkish travels as lived by my stomach

So a big part of my Turkish experience revolved around food and travel.  So I'm going to tie the places I went to with what I ate while I was there. Sund good? Good. 

Best balık ekmek - İstanbul. A trip to Kadıköy will land you the best grilled fish one a baguette you have ever had. Best experienced seated in a chair designed for toddlers. 

Best lahmacun - Antep. My friends know that my favorite Turkish food is the Syrian pizza, and no one does it better than Antep. I'll be honest and admit that I took two trips of several hundred miles each way just for the food. Too bad I got hideously ill on one of them. 

Çiği böreği - Eski Şehir. Ok so it was only a shop, but I had the greatest Caucasian meat pastries there. Plus peppers that come disguised as tomato sauce and will KILL you. 

Honey - one of the few nice things I can say about Kars is that they have great honey. And a restaurant call Döneristan.  

Biber dolması - my other favorite Turkish food is stuffed pepper. My host mother made the best in the world, and I've looked all over Turkey and still haven't found better. 

So there ya are. All my trips described in food (Trabzon doesn't count because I only ate there twice). 

Oh! And if anyone knows of a recipe for BİBER DOLMASI, let me know

Afiyet olsun!

No comments:

Post a Comment