Monday, June 3, 2013

Experiencing the protests

I'm in my apartment right now listening to them. I live maybe a mile and a half from where the Ankara protests have been centered. I've been advised not to leave the apartment, so I'm inside, but that doesn't mean I'm cut off from the protests.

Typically in Turkey you mark the passage of time with the call to prayer. This week though, at nine pm, it's been the population if Ankara coming onto their balconies banging pots and pans, honking horns, clapping, whistling, singing the national anthem, even. A sign of solidarity that bridges age and class divisions.

And throughout the afternoon I've heard the protests. I can hear chanting, whistling, and I can hear the "pops" of tear gas getting fired. Today there was also a helicopter flying low overhead, circling the area.

To really know what it's been like, please see my Facebook profile where I posted a series of statuses on June 1st about what I was experiencing as over 30,000 people marched on Ankara.  Also, please see my friend and colleague Danielle Cyr's blog post. She was trapped in the protest, and her blog post should be essential reading for everyone.

I'm staying safe, and the embassy is taking good care of our security. But I'm also quite bored stuck in my apartment by myself. As always, I greatly appreciate any thoughts and feedback.
Here's the link to Danielle's blog:

http://daniellelikestowrite.wordpress.com/2013/06/02/ankara-a-traumatic-arrival/



Also some statistics:

-There have been protests in 67 provinces

-There have been over 1000 injured
This includes people shot in the head with tear gas canisters, rubber bullets, and run over by a military water tanker (find the video on YouTube- viewer discretion advised)

-Tens of thousands have been tear gassed by police

-There are at least 2 dead

- about 2000 people have been arrested

No comments:

Post a Comment