Friday, July 5, 2013

Fourth of July abroad


I think that anyone who has spent a significant amount of time abroad will be able to relate to this post. I find that when I'm abroad, several of my belief structures are strengthened, including senses of patriotism. 

This last week has seen the anniversary of US independence, and I have to say that this year's was particularly memorable for me. Being in a foreign country during your national day is surreal. It's a completely normal day, and you can forget what the day is if you're not intentional about it. 

In Turkey this year, I'm living in a relatively small expat community; and we celebrated as a community together. On the third, we had the official celebration at the ambassador's residence where we had maybe 3000 guests! Then on the fourth, maybe 75 employees and families as well as the embassy's marine guards celebrated together with a family style barbeque. Can I just say that BBQ pulled pork topped with bacon is wonderful? Hahah! We played flag football, ultimate frisbee, ate, had some beers, and enjoyed celebrating the fourth as a group. 

I've been trying to remember, but I can't remember what I did to celebrated last year's fourth. This year, though, was a good experience, celebrating with the American community here in Ankara. 

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment